Wednesday 11 August 2010

Whilst Watching Paint Dry

Minifig Neat and tidy 



I made a commitment to myself that this time round I would not put my feet up in between stages whilst waiting for things to dry. Looking for an ideal candidate for these brief interludes, I got all nostalgic and thought I might develop a unit of 35 year old Minifig Marines.It would also be an opportunity to get up to speed with the Vallejo acrylics without worrying too much about quality before committing them to more involved pieces.   nice simple figures……easy I thought! 

How wrong I was, it actually took a lot more work than I thought, coping with sometimes vague and missing detail, it made me appreciate the quality of most modern sculpts with their defined detail and reasonable proportions. Well I did complete one and am actually quite pleased with it but not sure I have the staying power for a whole unit, which is a shame because I quite like the uniform ranks.

Minifig proportions are easily recognisable


I think it’s time to open a box of Perrys, at least until another fit of nostalgia takes hold! 


Minifig Marine


Anyway back to the 80’s Imperial Dwarfs and that Asgard half Troll Chieftain.

2 comments:

  1. There's something hypnotic about watching full ranks of identical figures painted to such a high level. The mini turned out great! I really don't think you should let them stand between you and more fantasy stuff, though! ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the frustrated wargamer in me! Always wanted a large army of something factual Dark ages or Napoleonic’s perhaps, but gave up after relatively few figures :( But rest assured I am back on the fantasy case now!:) Maybe it will have to be a dwarf army!;)

    ReplyDelete